- Chronic pain is a health crisis due to its high prevalence. More than 20% of adults suffer from chronic pain globally.
- Use of opioid medications, such as OxyContin®, Percocet®, Vicodin® and Percodan®, is the most common therapy in the management of acute and chronic pain.
- Misuse and overdose of opioid medication has created worldwide opioid epidemic. The economic impact of opioid crisis is more than $100 billion per year in US alone.
- Our current focus is to develop first-in-class drug candidates as non-opioid analgesics for pain management without side effects and abuse potential associated with the opioid medications.
- Our lead candidate OKYO-0201 showed promising results in mouse and rat models of neuropathic pain. Our goal is to further develop OKYO-0201 as a long acting drug candidate for chronic pain.